Operation Sapphire, the specialist unit at the Met designed to cover up prosecute sexual offenses, has been dogged with controversy this year, since it emerged that officers were systematically covering up sex crimes and refusing to investigate, while sexual predators within the force have targetted vulnerable women who have approached the police for support.
Rape has been in the news of late recently quite a bit: genuine rape, real rape, legitimate rape, forced rape, rape of an unwilling victim, it would seem that every politician on both sides of the atlantic these days wants to make a public statement simultaneously telling people how terrible rape is and how certain …
Anyone reading the Guardian’s aricle today on the scale of sexual abuse by police officers may be given the impression that the policing of rape isn’t very well done. On the contrary, rape is policed very well. We can’t tolerate rape in this society – so we don’t.
Just as in the UK, in Athens there are different levels of police. Police that may be seen in UK include your ordinary copper, those dressed in protective clothing as may be seen at a high level demonstration, and riot police deployed in significant disturbances.
In recent years there have been a number of women caught up in the justice system, not as perpetrators of crime as witnesses or victims in a court case, but as victims of the justice system itself, and of the media which reports on it.
It is estimated that only 10-30% of rapes are reported to the police, while only 6% of those reported end in conviction. Hence as a rapist, you have only about a 1.2% chance of being convicted in any particular incidence of rape. This is really quite good odds – with a 98.8% chance of getting …
Occupy Glasgow today voted at their General Assembly to move the camp from George Square to Kelvingrove park, where the council have agreed to provide them with facilities including lighting, toilets, heras fencing, CCTV, heaters and a water supply as well as transportation for all tents and materials.
In the aftermath of the UK Riots, questions were asked over the planned cuts to the police service, with Boris Johnstone speaking against the party line asking that the planned cuts were rethought, while the Government insisted that there would be no backing down.
The events of the weekend in London shows the level of anger present in local communities in the capital of the UK. Riots unseen since the early 1980s have raged for two days across a seven mile stretch of North London.
In May 2011, Ken Clarke caused outrage by remarks made in a media interview. When questioned about the tariffs received for rape convictions, he asserted
“A serious rape, with violence and an unwilling woman, the tariff is much longer … Date rape can be as serious as the worst rapes, but date rapes …
All archived posts can now be found on the Archives Page in the top menu classified by date.